Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Things I Do For You

It is a risky thing being a blogger. You put yourself out there for all the world to see, analyze, judge, decide to follow or not... You say things to whoever is willing to read you, and sometimes you get hurt, anonymously of course.

Around here, there is more than just my emotions and reputation at stake... because while I am busy writing (for your pleasure and edification) my son Jade is busy concocting...

nailstew

His grandparents bought him a cookbook for Christmas and now he fancies himself a gourmet chef. This morning when I came up from my basement office for a drink refill and to check on him, I found him standing on a chair pulled up to the stove, stirring a pot full of everything he could reach.

jadeinaction

“I’m making nail stew for Gecko’s birthday,” he told me cheerfully.

(Nail stew... my bad. Jade will not let anyone clip his fingernails so a while ago I made up a story about needing them for fingernail stew. He graciously allowed his father to cut one off for me to use in my stew. Gecko called me out on it insisting I was lying about eating fingernails... so I popped it in my mouth and quickly swallowed it down with a “Ha, I am NOT a liar.” Now Jade brings me his nails whenever one breaks or his father has at it with the clippers.)

needsmorechips

Want the recipe? Water, ice cubes, potato chips, corn toasties, butter, balsamic vinegar, agave, coffee, cinnamon, salt, half an Oreo, two eggs, and Cheerios. Oh, and a handful of freshly cut little boy fingernails.

almostdoneSo far I have evaded having to taste test it. Although he did. (Thankfully it was before the addition of the eggs.) He spit that mouthful right back into the pot with a grimace, and then told me it was delicious. But come tomorrow morning I am going to have to lie to him... He is going to want to know where the nail stew went and I cannot tell him that I threw it out. That would hurt his feelings. It might permanently damage the budding cook inside of him. I am going to have to say I got very hungry and ate it all up during the night.

I’ll bet you had no idea of the things I have to do to spend time with you reader.

8 comments:

vanessa said...

HAH!! that is hilarious. this is why i hope i have little boys ;)

Cory said...

Too funny!

Holly W said...

gotta love boys! My husband is a caterer/chef-I'll give him the recipe...

Far Above Rubies said...

Oh no, too funny - and I have to tell you - a bit gross - but that's what I love about boys. lol....

You are a great mom!!!!

Tara said...

Love it! Very creative son you have there (pretty dang sure he gets it from his mom)!

Melissa said...

That is funny! I could identify the cheerios and the ice cubes, but was at a loss to the other ingredients. :)

L.L. Barkat said...

LOL! I love this. :)

Ann Kroeker said...

I'm late seeing this, but boy am I glad I did! Just the thought of you popping that fingernail in your mouth, wow. Motherhood. Who knew where it would lead?

Post a Comment

Go ahead, say it.